If you’re getting new wood floors installed, you shouldn’t just wait for the installers to arrive. As the homeowner, you’d want to do some preparations to lessen the dust and other messes that are often unavoidable when floors are being installed. While you can expect reputable installers to take precautions and clean up after the project, it’s still better that you’re prepared.
Here are some things that you can do:
- Do what you can to protect the rest of your house from the dust. Seal off room that won’t be sanded. On top of closing the doors, you’d find that covering the doorways with plastic and some masking tape can help a lot.
- Remove and carefully store your doors. Any good floor installation company will remove the doors, but it’s still better that you do that if only to be sure that they are safely stored, too. You can separate each door with a blanket. Store the doors in an area where it won’t be moved, so the workspace is definitely not the place for them.
- You would have to remove the baseboards to get the flooring under and have them (or new ones) installed when the job is done. Another option is to have the installers cut under the baseboards to fit the flooring underneath, but that’s not the preferable way to go.
- Prepare the cutting area. If you want the installers to cut the floorboards in a specific area, like the garage, you’d want to prepare that area for them, too. To make sure it’s a good spot, choose one that’s near the doorway to access the inside of your door easily. Also, check if there’s access to an outlet as you can be sure they’d ask for one.
- You also have to know beforehand if your floor installers will remove door trim. If you want a really polished finish, it’s wiser to have them removed first, but you should know that it’s going to be a long road ahead. Also, ask if sub-floor installation is included in the package. If not, it’s better to have the sub-floor tight and solid before the installers arrive.
With these simple steps, you can make the whole flooring installation project easier not only for the installers but for you, too!
If you’re thinking of having new floors installed, make sure that you go to the right company who will take care of your flooring needs like no other – Tony’s Flooring Centre. Call us and see our amazing options for you.